ALL Ottawa- Carleton Public schools continue to allow volunteers WITHOUT criminal background checks !!!
- criminal checks are free for volunteers
- the present practice of, signing your name on a sheet gives us little information on who we have allowed into our classrooms.
- read your policy online www.ocdsb.ca search “555 SCO” : the 11 year old policy on volunteers.
- 2.1 A parent volunteer in a school is a parent or guardian who currently has a child enrolled in and attending that school, or is a member of the community who continues as a volunteer in a school without interruption after the child has left the school. (presently even grandparents have been included)
- low risk includes: • “in open, common area (for example, hallways, library, gym) with intermittent observation” “Where the principal deems the volunteer activity to be of low risk, the principal or designate may allow a parent to volunteer without screening “ policy 555 SCO written Feb. 2000 and no revisions since Feb. 2000. (most schools practice no criminal check unless it is an overnight trip)
- As shown on CBC News at 6 pm on September 16, 2011www.cbc.ca search CBC News Ottawa.
- Ask your school trustee for your child’s school if ALL volunteers (including parent / grandparent volunteers) have criminal background checks. Please make one phone call to assure the safety of your child.
- 90% of all public school boards in Ontario have this policy in place. Some for the past 10 years !! All boards have their policies online.
- join Facebook group “Ottawa- Carleton school board Criminal background checks for ALL volunteers.”